Day 1 (Violet)
If you’re following me on Instagram, you’ll know that I created a 7-Day-7-Color smoothie challenge to celebrate Pride month and my intense love for color. Also, I love rainbows; and, we just got back from two weeks in Spain and despite all the amazing food there, I had a major hankering for smoothies!!
So, here’s how the challenge works.
Every day for 7 days, I create and post a smoothie recipe featuring a color of the rainbow. Today’s color is Violet, tomorrow’s is Indigo,…and so on and so forth (Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red)!
Stick with me here…there is a method to this madness. Because I typically stick to green smoothies, this challenge not only forces me to think beyond what’s possible, but also gets me to drink a variety of colors. Different colors = different antioxidants = a wider range of protective mechanisms for my body! I will write a more detailed post on that shortly.
So, feel free to join in on the challenge this week and tag #muxcooks and #7day7colorchallenge.
In the meantime, enjoy this powerful, vibrant and delicious smoothie that can be made in less than 10 minutes if you have a high-speed blender. That means it’s perfect for breakfast or as a snack; or if you just need a smile on your face. It’s got raw beetroot, banana, apple, pineapple, spinach, oats and chia seeds.
I’ve called it Beet Pride because, Pride month! – and also because the beetroot takes a center stage in this smoothie, and carries it off with style.
Hello Beetroot! Did you know that beets contain betacyanin, a potent antioxidant that not only gives them their epic reddish-purple pigment; but that’s also a big-time cancer-fighting agent? Beets are also high in fiber which seems to help lower cholesterol, make you poop regularly, AND protect you from colon cancer (1). Plus, they make everything look so darn pink and pretty. What’s not to love?
Beet Pride Smoothie
- 3 cups water
- 1 raw beetroot scrubbed and peeled if needed
- 1/2 apple washed and chopped
- 1 banana
- 1 cup spinach washed
- 1/4 cup pineapple
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Wash and prep all ingredients. If using a high-speed blender, chop the fruits and veggies into big chunks, and add to the blender (for a regular blender, you may need to chop them into smaller pieces).
- Add all ingredients in the blender along with 3 cups of water.
- Blend at a low speed at first, then higher until you get the desired thickness. Add more water or ice-cubes if needed.
- Drink immediately, or chill and drink within 24 hours. Enjoy!